Second signing in as many days, an ‘indication of the club’s ambition’

Bournemouth defender Marcos Senesi in a game for Argentina Credit: PA Images

Argentinian centre-half Marcos Senesi has completed his transfer from Feyenoord to Bournemouth for a fee of 15 million euros.

The 25-year-old has signed a four-year contract at Vitality Stadium.

Cherries boss Scott Parker was looking for additional defensive options after deploying midfielder Jefferson Lerma in a makeshift trio in Saturday’s 2-0 Premier League win over Aston Villa.

Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake told the club’s website: “He’s a huge signing for us and Marcos brings an important pedigree to our team.

“There was inevitably a lot of interest in him, so the fact that he chose to come here is a clear sign of our appeal as a football club.

“Bringing in a current Argentina international with experience in European competitions is another indication of the club’s ambition and we are all looking forward to seeing Marcos in an AFC Bournemouth shirt.”

Senesi, who made his international debut against Estonia in June, started his career with San Lorenzo before making 116 appearances in Dutch football, including helping Feyenoord to the European Conference League final last season.

His arrival in Dorset comes a day after the newly promoted Cherries finalized the signing of Brazilian goalkeeper Neto from Barcelona.

Senesi has previously been linked with West Ham and Newcastle United.

Earlier on Monday, Bournemouth defender Adam Smith agreed to a contract extension until the summer of 2024.

The 31-year-old full-back is the longest-serving member of the Cherries squad, having signed a permanent contract with Tottenham in January 2014 following a loan spell during the 2010-11 campaign.

He made his 306th appearance for the south coast club in the opening weekend win over Villa.

Smith, who twice helped Bournemouth to promotion to the top flight including last season, follows goalkeeper Mark Travers, midfielder Lewis Cook and striker Dominic Solanke in securing a new deal.

Blake said: “We are delighted to keep Adam with us for another season and it is very encouraging to see another key player entrusting us with his future.

“Everyone knows how valuable he is to the club and his experience and leadership qualities are second to none, so I have no doubt he will continue to play a key role on and off the pitch.”

The article Bournemouth chief: Second signing in as many days an ‘indication of the club’s ambition’ appeared first on Football365.com.

About Michael Bill

Check Also

Putin doesn’t think invading Ukraine a ‘mistake’: Scholz | Russo-Ukrainian War

German Chancellor says there is no indication Putin has changed his stance on Ukraine as …